Monday, September 5, 2011

Summer Recap

We barely had time to breath this summer, let alone keep you all caught up on our lives. It was an extremely busy few months!

Let’s recap, shall we! Our summer in a nutshell.... the short version!

We left for Portugal the day school got out. We stayed there for a few days enjoying the beaches.

We came home for three days before flying to Romania for a Club Beyond Mission Trip.

We traveled a bit on our own once we were done with Club Beyond. We wanted to see the rest of the country.

When we returned home, I thought that would be the start to my summer break. Not so much! While we were in Romania, we learned that Schweinfurt would be opening a new high school at the start of the school year. So during my week off, I worked at the school all day packing up classrooms.

At the end of the week, my friend Elizabeth came to stay with us for a couple days.

We dropped her off on our way to Luxembourg, where I ran the triathlon.

The next week I worked some more at school while Jay was at work, and we taught a CPR class together.

Then we watched some boys to finish out the week! All their parents came home on Tuesday night and I was headed to the airport Wednesday morning to pick up Jay’s parents.

We stuck around Schweinfurt for a couple of days, venturing out to some local towns.

On the 30th of July, we flew out for Italy, spending a week between Rome and Venice.

Rome (We were both sick as dogs on this day!)

Florence

Pisa

Cinque Terra

Venice

We returned back to Schweinfurt for two days before heading out to Paris. I went with Jay’s parents to visit the beautiful French city. Unfortunately, Jay had to stay home and work!

We came home for a day, repacked, and then headed to Berlin for the last weekend that his parents were with us. After learning a lot of German and American history, we came back home.

All four of us packed our bags once again. Curt and Nancy packed to head back to Iowa the next day. Jay and I packed our bags for Scotland. On Tuesday morning, we drove to Frankfurt early in the morning. We dropped off Curt and Nancy, watched them go through security and then headed to Hahn for our own flight. We flew to Edinburgh to watch the Military Tattoo. This is a huge band concert with military bands from around the world. We were in Edinburgh for a whole 19 hours before flying back.

I had to be at school the next day for an all day meeting. Came home from school, packed one last time for the summer as headed to Finland the next day. We took a four day trip to try to find Santa Clause. I saw a lot of look-a-likes! What I really wanted to see was a moose or a reindeer! Unfortunately we didn’t see anything, except for some beautiful barns!

We came back home on Monday night at , went to bed, and then both went to work the next morning. It was the start to the school year for me!

And that’s it folks! Time to get back to the real world again! This was a summer of a lifetime. I would catch myself complaining from being so tired, but really, what could I complain about! In two months, I visited seven countries!

2 comments:

Becky Bartlett said...

Whew! I'm tired just reading about your summer! Sounds like a blast... so fun to see so many things!

Kyle & Beth Pettit said...

Wow. What a fun but exhausting summer you had. I hope you are finding some time for R&R even with your busy work and coaching schedule. Miss you guys!