Monday, May 3, 2010

This is What Friends are For!

In February, I had a group of ladies over for a Valentine's meal. When it was cold outside, I used my window sills as an extra refrigerator. It worked great... except for when the food fell off the window sill. A strong wind must have come up and blew a bag of garlic bread and an orange juice container down onto the roof. We are on the third floor, but out these windows is a roof from the second floor that is connected to our building. I couldn't reach these things because they were down a floor. I have been trying to figure out how to get these things for the past three months! I've been brainstorming contraptions I can make to hook the bag and bring it up.

Well, tonight, I had several people over for a meeting. After the meeting, my friend Elizabeth stayed after for a bit. I asked for her opinion on how to get the food off the roof. Her idea... she decided she would crawl out the window, down the side of the building and stand on the roof. So, out she went! This was the easy part. She got herself down to the roof in no problem. She handed me the food and all was good! Well.... not so much! Now came the part that we didn't think about before hopping out the window. Elizabeth couldn't quite figure out how to get back up to the third story window from the roof of the second story. I ended up handing her our step stool, but that wasn't high enough. So I ran through the house trying to find something sturdy enough that she could stand on, on top of the step ladder. I came up with Jay's tool box. So, she stacked them up and was able to jump up to the window and pull herself in. Another mission accomplished! Now one thing left to do.... get the tool box and the step stool back into the house. We made a contraption our of the broom and a hanger and were able to pull them up. Success!!!!

On the second story roof... rescuing the lost food!
True effort... trying to get herself back into the window.  This is as high as she could get... so in came the tool box!

Using the step stool, with the tool box on top, Elizabeth pulled herself in. Then we used the broom and hanger to hook the handles.

 Who says we need guys around!! We figured it out!! And I'm sure it was quite a site to see!
(But Jay, I still want you home as soon as you can!!!)
This whole situation led to a lot of laughs!! It kind of taught us to think through a situation before beginning. But on the other hand.... that wouldn't have been nearly as fun!

I'm so glad to have such a great friend around to help me out! I sure don't know what I would do without her, especially during this deployment! Thanks friend!!!

Elizabeth.... this is reason 1,634,923 why we make such good friends... because you do the unpredictable to help me out!

3 comments:

Mom said...

OHHHH... So sweet to have a friend like that!

Kyle & Beth Pettit said...

You girls crack me up. I am glad she saved your groceries and that you were able to help save her from being stuck out there!

Holly Brennan said...

I love the pictures!! I had a good laugh as well! Thanks!