Thursday, January 6, 2011

Day 2 - Driving in the Mountains

Today was a relaxing day, especially for me. This morning we took a bus to the airport, where we rented a car. We now have wheels for the next four days. We left the airport heading west, and that's about all we knew. We have our GPS with us, but it doesn't like Greece for some reason and couldn't even find us on the map. It didn't track us when we were on the mainland either. So, we used one of the books that we had and a small map of half the island that the hotel gave us. Using those two things along with the road signs, we made our way around the island. Jay did all the driving and I enjoyed the views... when I wasn't sleeping!

Here are a few highlights....

Tons of orange trees and olive trees

 A view from the mountains. We drove up and down them so many times, switch back after switch back. It was a good thing I fell asleep for awhile as Mr. Race Car Driver was having too much fun. I would have been sick if I was awake!

 A small little church perched on the top of a mountain.

 Skipping rocks on the beach. We would have much rather gotten in the water, but a bit too chilly for that.

We found an anti-aircraft gun along the beach. Jay's exact quotes.... "This is like a swing set. My kids need one of these!" I told him to make one into a potato gun for our kids some day! He was invisioning what it would look like. Five minutes later, I finally made him get off! He was having too much fun raising the gun up and down using the crank and turning the whole contraption around in circles.

This is the car we rented for the week. I am sitting inside scared to death as I cover my eyes. We were on top of the mountain and Jay had to park about three feet from the edge of a 4000 foot drop off!! I was a bit on the nervous side, hoping the rocks didn't give way.

We ended our drive on this beach, watching the sun disappear behind the clouds. It was quite beautiful!!

Once we got back to Chania around 7:00 tonight, we stopped at Domino's Pizza. I know, you Americans probably think we're crazy for stopping there with all this delightful Greek food around, but it was really sounding good to us. And after being ripped off last night, we weren't in the mood to deal with them again! Nonetheless, the pizza was delicious and hit the spot. We then came back to our room after that for awhile and both read our books. I tell ya' what... I haven't read a book cover to cover since probably middle school. I know, it's sad because I'm a teacher and I make my kids read. But it just isn't something that I enjoy, mostly because I can't sit still long enough. I feel like I'm wasting time. But I am 3/4 the way through the book that I checked out from the library and brought along. It feels good to have the time to read. We'll just see if I can keep the habit once we get back home. Before the night was over, we ventured back out for a couple of ice cream cones. Now it's time to jump in bed and watch a movie on the laptop!

Tomorrow... another day of driving around the island, discovering whatever there is to discover!!

2 comments:

Mom said...

Glad you had a good day but too bad it isn't warmer so you can get in the water. Next time!

Riya Joshi said...

Great article this is very informative .......keep posting Thanks Regards shaggy rugs online