Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Last Day on the Farm

I've been here a week now and today is my last full day on the farm. I leave tomorrow to head back to Germany. I've had a great week and have really enjoyed it all!


Today, I really took in the farm. I miss being here, in the middle of no where, fields surrounding us. In Schweinfurt, we are surrounded by tall apartment buildings with absolutely no yard. I spent a lot of time with Drake today. We played tug-of-war and wrestled in the yard. We must have played a little too hard because I pulled two of his teeth out with the rope. It's a good thing they were baby teeth! Hope the new ones grow in soon!


While playing with Drake in the yard, I was watching Dad load two wagons on to a trailer. He is taking them to a sale tomorrow since he doesn't use them much anymore. It will leave more space in the barn. It's almost time to start harvest, so he'll be super busy soon. I wish I was around when the combine was running. It's my favorite time of the year!

Mom and I went out to the garden this afternoon. We picked green beans and tomatos. The green beans are almost done, but we did end up getting two bucket fulls. We also cut up a whole bunch of apples, fresh off the tree. Mom is going to make apple sauce and apple pies with them. I wanted to make a pie, but we have too many desserts around the house. We didn't need another one.


My brother started hauling seed corn for Pioneer today. That means harvest has begun!! Starting today and for another couple of months, he'll be very busy running his semi. Before he began today, he spent all night painting his trailer. It was black, but he wanted it white to match his tractor. Even though it took a long time, it looks really nice!

Last night, my in-laws came over for supper. I wanted to see them this week before heading back. It was an absolutely beautiful day, so mom and I decided we should eat outside on the deck. I love being outside! We had grilled steaks and baked potatoes. It was so yummy! I can't have grilled steaks in Germany, so I wanted to be sure and get them in!


I sure am going to miss the farm! When I come back at Christmas, the fields will be empty and hopefully full of snow! I want to be able to go snowmobiling!! I'm also anxious to see this lil guy when I come back. He'll be much bigger. It will be fun to play with him in the snow!

Bye Buckingham! See you again in December!

1 comment:

Farmgirl Chaos said...

How else do they have steak over there? I've never heard steak called grilled steak.
And too bad you won't be around for harvest. You could ride in the combine while I harvest!