Friday, March 5, 2010

Read Across America Week

At school this week, we celebrated Read Across America. Dr. Seuss's birthday was on Tuesday, so we celebrated that too. For each day of the week, we used a book as our theme. We also had a dress up idea. Monday was crazy hat day...

Tuesday was stripes, Wednesday was "be seen in green", Thursday was wacky socks, and Friday we were to dress as any character from a book. I dressed as Heidi. Here I am with some of my kids that also dressed up.

On Tuesday night, we had Dr. Seuss night at school. Each grade level had an activity for the kids to do. I helped the kids do readers theater. We had several scripts prepared, along with neck signs so the kids knew who they were. The kids were able to go around to the different classrooms and participate in the events. At the end, we had birthday cake and one of the teachers did a skit up on the stage.

Here we are doing one of our readers theatre.

For the teacher that did the skit, my class created his back drop. It took us several days because it was HUGE! If you look closely, you'll notice it is six sheets of paper. Each sheet is one yard tall and three yards long.... making the entire thing 12x18 feet!! Thankfully I had some soldiers around that helped me hang it on the wall. I could have never done it by myself. They had to use some pretty call ladders!

It was a fun week, but it kept the kids very hyper! I enjoyed dressing up and being silly with them though!! That's part of the fun of teaching.... being able to act like a fourth grader!

3 comments:

Kyle & Beth Pettit said...

I loved this week at school. It is so much fun!

Unknown said...

the back drop looked good!!

Riya Joshi said...

This is really nice post works well and easy to configure...thanks for all info fixing and installation in abu dhabi