Sunday, June 28, 2009

Finally Made the Pies

Yesterday, our landlord brought us another bucket of cherries. These were freshly picked, still with stems and pits. I didn't have space to put them in the freezer, so I had to make them into something today.

This morning, I started to pit the cherries with a spoon. My fingers looked like they were bleeding. The cherries were so juicy. It was taking me forever to get the pits out without killing the cherry. I was wishing I had the pitter that our landlord used a few days prior. Jay went and asked her for me and brought it back. I was so glad to see it! I finished much faster than I would have, probably an hour or so faster!

I used flour, salt, and crisco to make my crusts. They turned out pretty good. I was reminded of the several years I made pies at Beck's, for Ruth. I didn't make twenty pies like we did back then, but did get four in and out of the oven.

The first two I made normal, with a flower cut out in the middle. The third one I decided to try a lattice top. It actually turned out pretty good. I was happy with it. I was out of dough and didn't want to make another batch, so I ended up doing a crumble topping. I used mom's recipe that she puts on an apple crisp. Jay tried it out tonight and thought it tasted good.

Now I have to figure out what to do with three pies. We obviously can't eat four pies by Tuesday and there is no room in the freezer right now. Jay is going to take them and give them away at the office tomorrow. I'm sure someone would like to have a fresh cherry pie!

2 comments:

Keeley Barr said...

Wow Gina those look amazing!!! In fact all the pix of food you make look great- you will have to give me cooking lessons some time, especially in baking!

Risala Furniture said...

Hello man! Incredible post however I extremely needed to simply drop a remark on your blog. Your blog has a super cool outline. Is this wordpress by possibility? Carpet Shops in Abu Dhabi