Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Alps are not the same as Sundown

We have an eventful weekend as we traveled south to Austria for a three day ski trip. We left Friday morning and got there in the early evening. We headed out to the slopes first thing Saturday morning. It was an absolutely beautiful day with the sun shining! Jay attempted to teach me how to ski instead of putting me into a school. He did a good job, I just wasn't very good at doing what he said. I didn't have a problem staying up, I eventually learned how to turn, but stopping... well, that rarely happened gracefully. I was doing just fine on a nice blue (easy) hill when Jay thought we should change things up. He saw another hill that was a red (medium) but he didn't think it looked to bad. So, down we went. The top wasn't terrible, but there wasn't a lift where he thought there was. We had to keep going down and that's where I got into trouble. I was tumbling down the hill as fast as I could stand up and get going again. I finally made it to the bottom by walking. I was not a happy camper! I went back to my blue hill while Jay went on his own and challenged himself.

We went to a different resort on Sunday. These mountains were higher, which was good because it was raining down low and we wanted to get into the snow. It doesn't soak in as bad. We went up to the top of the mountain and got off the lift. All you could see was a sheet of white. The wind was blowing, it was snowing, and you couldn't see 10 feet in front of you. I was scared out of my mind!! But, we had to get down somehow. We were trying to get to a blue hill for me to ski on, but in order to get there, you had to start on a red hill. So, we started down and it was wayyy to steep for me. I ended up sliding down the mountain on my butt for about a mile until we reached the blue route. It actually wasn't too bad. I sat on my skies and was having fun! The blue route was perfect as it wrapped around the mountain and wasn't too steep. Once we got to the bottom an hour later, I said I would stick to the beginner hill while Jay did a harder hill. Once he got back down, he wanted me to try the first hill again, so I agreed. We rode back up to the top and got out to still a white out. My only words were "how did you talk me into this!" I thought I would try to actually ski down the red hill this time instead of sled. I started down and about 20 feet later I tumbled hard. I twisted my knee pretty good, but tried to shake it off. We eventually got down to the bottom and all was well. I took it easy the rest of the day while Jay enjoyed the tough stuff!

We had one more day of skiing on Monday. It was another beautiful day with warm weather and sunshine. We went to an extremely high mountain as they had great parks to ski and snowboard in. I decided to sit the day out and give Jay a chance to ride what he wanted to and not wait for me. He had a blast going down all of the hills. It was a great resort with wide open paths and no trees in the way. I sat in a lounge chair the whole day and greatly enjoyed watching all of the skiers.


We had a great trip with wonderful weather! We may not get there again, so glad we took the chance!




4 comments:

Farmgirl Chaos said...

It looks beautiful there! Glad you guys had a chance to go on a weekend getaway. But no pics of the sunburns? Hopefully you are feeling better!

J-D-K-G said...

Gina-you are much braver than I! I went skiing once and had a similar experience-though I was only on Sundown! Skiing scares me! Your last day sitting in a warm cabin watching the skiers sounds really nice to me!

Anonymous said...

Austrian ski maps here:

http://www.livelyworlds.com

Risala Furniture said...

Hello man! Incredible post however I extremely needed to simply drop a remark on your blog. Your blog has a super cool outline. Is this wordpress by possibility? carpet mats abu dhabi